I'm at home, and there's a pothole big enough to house all the minions Hades can hold, and allow them to live comfortably. What do i do? I file a complaint to the truck stop, citing safety, etc. Then, a year later, that pothole is bigger.........the minions of Hades needed a mansion! Did I enter a third world county once I got in a truck? I certainly didn't see that as part of the agreement.
Yet, everywhere you look, truckers are getting the shaft. The few creature comforts you would want the backbone and life supply of your country aren't given to them. Why? Partly corporate greed, partly detached politicians, and the rest are because people are idiots! In this series, we will look at every incident in which these hardworking men and women, and the loved ones who've dedicated their lives to being beside them (like I have), have been treated less than fair. Let's start with the truck stops...........we'll give you some eye openers!
1. Potholes. Yes, there have been trucks damaged by the necssity of these truck stops not patching these. Some I believe attach Hades to the truck stop with how deep they run. I've sent pictures in with this article about a truck's damage from hitting such a said pothole at the Flying J in North Platte, Nebraska.
2. Price gouging, i.e. highway robbery. I take pain meds for a back condition. I try to use OTC's as much as possible for I hate the narcotic side effects of prescriptions. I will say, migraine medicine is one of the best examples I've found. I can buy a pack at any retailer or pharmacy for $3.33. Go to the truck stop and it's $6.98. Pardon me? Same size package for over twice the amoint? This happens to everything from laundry detergent to athlete's foot spray. Why? Because with the sheer volume of customers we all know these truck stops receive, they have yet to figure out that if they would cut the price, we wouldn't be frequenting retailers, etc.
3. Shoving candy bars down your throat. How many times do I have to hear a driver say "If I wanted a Kit Kat bar, I would've grabbed one." The signs for these "awesome promotions" are wallpapered throughout the entire truck stop, including every bathroom stall. When you check out, they must honestly believe you're illiterate, because you have to hear them ask you if you want one. No ma'am, the 500 signs in your store didn't compel me, your rude self won't either.
4. Which brings us to the overall attitude! If I want to go somewhere I'll be treated like a piece of garbage, I guarantee you, I would not frequent it often! Please, when coming to work at a truck stop, leave your attitude at home! These people you give rude looks to, act like their stupid (I was on the phone with a manager yesterday who's cashier had the "I am God" attitude), and treat like your 5 year old child who just colored on the walls with a permanent marker, PAY YOUR PAYCHECK! Without these hardworking men and women, you wouldn't get said paycheck. You also wouldn't have food, cigarettes, juice, clothes, bedding, your furniture in your house, or your house! That's right, they brought every bit of that to you!
5. Corporate America, quit messing with the drivers. Truck stop corporations will network with me until I call a facility a shithole (go to www.thetruckersvoice.net tomorrow for my challenge to them). Face it, if the drivers say it's a shithole, it's a shithole!
6. If you have security, have them do their job! We just recently had 10 screw-on lug nut caps (8" spikes) stolen off the truck. Security was there, but too busy flirting. At the TA Ontario East, security was unaware of a man carrying a gun around the truck stop until Ontario PD had responded to a call. Security should make us safer. 90% of the time, it simply means there's one less welfare recipient. Make sure they are trained properly and doing their jobs properly please!
7. Truck stop execs, do you not hear the entire industry screaming we need more parking? So, why is Little America in Cheyenne allowing ABF to use them as a drop yard. We could barely fit a 13' wide in there due to this. Schneider has rented out part of the Pilot parking lot in Des Moines. There were more pumpkins in the main lot then where their drop spots, which the main lot lost those parking spots for. What's wrong with this pic? (The video of this will be on YouTube shortly under TheTrkrsVoice.) If these companies need lots, they can rent their own!
8. The recession is not over. Claiming it is to try to give a $200 a night rate on a Sunday as your "CDL Special" makes me think you're on drugs! Most company drivers make between 34 and 40 cpm, and the owner ops are drowning!
Truck stops and those who work in them, please remember who made you! You forget the truckers, they'll forget you, and I'll constantly remind them to forget! This is where I draw the line. Fix it or I'll call out the locations and bad experiences as they come in. It will all be fact based. Don't want to network with me because you have a shithole? No problem. The full stop of business at that shithole might make you realize we're fed up!
Drivers and co-pilots, keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down. Till next time, be safe!